4 years ago I started out with this post and continued to publish more food posts to document my journey as a newlywed wife. After my first successful Good Eats Roast turkey, I was driven to cook and bake everything that our hungry stomachs craved. Blogging here has become a big part of my everyday life and I can't thank my husband, my family, my friends and my readers for reading my posts this entire time.
Reflection on the past year and highlights:
- My little cookie in the oven was born and Elena has been the best addition to our lives.
- I had an awesome virtual Cuban-Filipino baby shower fiesta thrown by my fabulous food blogging friends. (I still have wild dreams of this fantastic spread).
- I baked up the sweetest Spumoni Ice Cream Layer Sundae Cake for my birthday.
- Meatless Mondays (MMs) were a great way to save on our grocery budget and one of my favorite meal planning days. I need to get back on the bus for posting MM again.
- Eric and I hosted our first Noche Buena with our family and we roasted a 75 pound Lechon Asado (roasted pig).
- I attended my first Food Buzz Conference in San Francisco and met a lot of fabulous bloggers who are just as awesome in real life.
- My most popular post of Buffalo Chicken Tacos has circulated quite a bit especially on Pinterest.
To celebrate and honor my 4th Blogiversary, I baked up these sugary addicting treats of S'mores Whoopie Pies. They are like little soft graham cracker cookie cakes filled with homemade marshmallow fluff and mocha cappuccino hazelnut spread or cookie butter. It's one homemade sandwich cookie that will rock your world and it would be a fantastic sweet treat to enjoy during this Labor Day weekend.
Thanks a million times for reading here and hurry up and make some Whoopie (pies)!
S'mores Whoopie Pies
Adapted from Cookies & Cups
ZipList Add Recipe
For the cookies:
1/2 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
1 cup light brown sugar, packed
1 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1 1/2 cup finely crushed graham crackers (about 9 whole crackers)
1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
2 large eggs, room temperature
1/2 cup plus 2 Tablespoon milk
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon vinegar
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
For the filling:
Chocolate bars (melted) or Mocha Cappuccino Hazelnut Spread, Cookie Butter Spread, or Peanut Butter
Marshmallow Fluff (from here)
Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Line cookie sheets with baking silpat or parchment paper.
In a medium bowl, whisk together the graham cracker crumbs, flour, and baking powder. Set aside.
In a small bowl, mix together the milk, vanilla extract, baking soda, and vinegar until combined. Set aside.
In the bowl of the stand mixer, cream the butter and brown sugar until combined on low speed. Add the eggs one by one and mix until combined. Scrape down the sides as needed. Alternatively add the flour mixture and milk mixture until combined. Increase the speed to medium and mix until combined, about 1 minute.
Using a small cookie scooper, about 1 tablespoon, scoop the batter onto the prepared baking sheets. Place the cookies at least 2 inches apart, as the cookies will spread during baking.
Bake cookies for 8 to 10 minutes until cookies are set. Let cool on baking sheet for 5 minutes and transfer to cooling rack.
When cookies are cool, flip half of the cookies over and spoon a tablespoon sized portion of desired spread of your choice on the bottom half of the cook, coating the entire cookie. Spoon marshmallow fluff on the remaining, non-covered cookies. Leave room at the edge for the frosting to spread when sandwiched. Or you can fill the marshmallow fluff into a ziplock or piping bag and pipe frosting onto the cookies.
Sandwich the marshmallow and flavored spread together. Store in an airtight container for up to 5 days, refrigerate if desired.
Yield: about 2 dozen cookies
Review: Sinful. I love anything with S'mores in it, and this was a fantastic cookie to indulge on. The traditional S'mores use chocolate bars, but the mocha cappuccino or cookie butter spread kicks it up a notch and fancies it up. The kid in you, your family and your friends will love you SO VERY MUCH for these cookies.