Monday night dinners I like to make something a little elaborate and put a little Krystal-love into whatever I was making. Last night I ended up making pulled pork tacos to enjoy for dinner, it had to be something truly satisfying after my muddy 10k from Sunday. Usually on race day, I'll have something light and balanced and afterwards is when the true feast begins. It's like my body is asking for carbs and protein and food!! I knew that this dish would be truly worthy. I made my guacamole to garnish the tacos and to eat it on the side as well. Mmmmm, this was a very satisfying meal!
Thanks to Amy from Sing for your Supper and Ashley from Delish on posting this recipe, they both have fantastic and drool worthy blogs! Check them out! ;-)
Pulled Pork Tacos
Adapted from Delish/Sing for Your Supper & The Neelys
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1 teaspoon chipotle chili powder
1 teaspoon ground cumin
2 teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon of Sazon completa
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1 (3 1/2-pound) boneless pork loin, cut into 3-inch chunks
1 medium onion, peeled and quartered
4 cloves garlic, minced
1 cup chicken stock
1 small can tomato puree
1 tablespoons honey
1 orange, halved and juiced
1 tablespoon of orange zest
1 lime, cut into slices
1 package corn tortillas, warmed
Guacamole, for garnish
Zesty Slaw, recipe follows
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
2. Mix the oregano, chipotle powder, cumin, salt and pepper together in a small bowl. Add the spice mixture to the cubed pork and mix well.
3. In a dutch oven over medium-high heat, add two tablespoons of olive oil and sear the cubed pork for 4 minutes on each side. Add the onions, garlic, tomato sauce, chicken stock, honey, orange zest, and orange juice and lime slices. Season with salt and pepper, and bring mixture to a simmer. Cover dutch oven and transfer to oven and cook for about 90 minutes or until fork tender.
4. Meanwhile, while the pork cooks prepare the zesty slaw. (It really does add an extra depth of flavor to the tacos)
5. Remove the meat from the Dutch oven to a cutting board. Set the Dutch oven over medium heat and reduce the liquid until it becomes slightly syrupy, about 10 minutes. Meanwhile, shred the meat and add to a bowl. Add the shredded pork back into the dutch oven and mix well. Serve with corn tortillas, guacamole, queso fresco and Zesty Slaw.
4 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
1 tablespoon canola oil
1 tablespoon sugar
1 head napa cabbage, shredded
1/4 cup fresh cilantro leaves
4 tablespoons freshly sliced green onions
2 carrot, peeled and shredded
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
1. Whisk the rice wine vinegar, lime juice, canola oil, and sugar together in a small bowl. Add the cabbage, cilantro, green onions, and carrot to a large serving bowl and combine. Drizzle with the dressing and toss to coat. Season with salt and pepper, to taste, and serve
Check out my fave pics from our mudrun...it was alot of fun! Sign up at Camp Pendleton Races on January 1st, 2011 if you're interested!