Meatless Monday was yesterday's theme for dinner and immediately thought of this recipe. Caramelized onions is intoxicating as is, but on top of a puff pasty - you have a match made in foodie heaven. I had bought the ricotta cheese a week ago and hated the fact that it was going to expire. I wasn't planning to prepare anything for dinner because Eric & I were headed out to watch the Angels game at the stadium and were planning to eat dinner there. Luckily, I had enough time to prep this as an appetizer to enjoy at home since it was still early. It was simple and had lots of flavor from just a couple of ingredients. Yum!
Caramelized Onion Tart
Adapted from Savory Sweet Life
2 med-large yellow onions, thinly sliced
4 tablespoons butter
2 teaspoons fresh thyme leaves
2 teaspoons sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground pepper
*optional 4 tablespoons white wine
1 package puff pastry, thawed
1 cup Ricotta cheese
1/2 cup Parmesan cheese
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a medium sauce on medium heat cook butter, thyme, onions, salt, pepper, sugar, and white wine for15 minutes stirring occasionally until softened and golden brown.
2. While onions are caramelizing, combine Ricotta cheese and egg in a small bowl and set aside.
3. Unfold puff pastry sheets on a a large cookie sheet making sure both sheets connect in the middle of the pan. Gently fold in each side of the puff pastry sheets approximately 1 inch.
4. Spread Ricotta cheese evenly over the puff pastry and lightly sprinkle most of the Parmesan cheese on top. Add caramelized onions evenly over the cheese mixture and top off by sprinkling any remaining Parmesan cheese.
5. Bake for 25-30 minutes until puff pastry is golden brown. Cut into small pieces for appetizers or bigger pieces to eat as a main dish.
Review: Yummy, such a simple appetizer/main dish and easy to throw together for a meatless Monday. I happily enjoyed my onion tart with a glass of sangria before we left for the baseball game. It would pair well with a simple mixed greens salad and dinner is served. Enjoy!