One of my favorite chain restaurants is Mimi's Cafe. One of my ex-college roommates used to work there, and introduced me to all of the wonderful food served there -I even had late night midterm/finals sessions at Mimi's Cafe. They have the best breakfast entrees that I love whenever we don't eat at home. I usually order a specialty omelet and you get a side of their infamous muffins. I usually get the honey oat bran or seasonal like pumpkin or buttermilk spice. The bread is absolutely delicious and a perfect baked treat to enjoy there or for later. One of the typical staples of Mimi's is their bread basket which they have sourdough and french rolls and some slices of their carrot bread, too. The carrot bread is always moist and delicious. I'm so happy to have a found a copycat recipe so I can make it at home. It's like having a slightly denser carrot cake, but oh soooooo gooey and yummy!
Adapted from Group Recipes
1 1/2 cup flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 vegetable oil
1/2 cup applesauce
1 1/2 cups brown sugar - (packed)
3 Large eggs
1/2 cup minced walnuts
1/2 cup crushed pineapple, liquid removed
1/2 cup raisins
1 cup finely-shredded carrots
1. Sift flour, cinnamon, baking soda, baking powder, and salt into a mixing bowl.
2. In a separate bowl, whisk together the oil, applesauce, sugar & eggs.
3. Stir the liquid mixture into the flour; mix well.
4. Add the next four ingredients; stir again.
5. Grease & flour, four mini-loaf (3" x 6") pans or one regular 9" x 5" pan.
6. Fill the pans 2/3 full with batter.
7. Bake at 350 degrees for about 40 mins or mini loaves bake about 35 mins. Place on cooling rack, and let cool to room temperature. Enjoy!
Review: Highly enjoyed this bread, it's like carrot cake without the frosting! This recipe is pretty close to the restaurant version. I love the mini-loaf pans that I picked up at Sur La Table, they are perfect for this recipe. I like the look of the mini-loaf pans compared to the larger 9x5 loaf pans, too.